Friday, October 21, 2005

One Month in Cavaillon!

(Before I begin, let me try to express my sincere disappointment that this blog hasn't been more orderly this past month. I'm still clinging to the idea of posting the rest of my entries about my initial trip, but alas, it'll have to wait.)

Yep, tomorrow is the one month anniversary of my arrival in Cavaillon. There's no way I can summarize what this month has been like, though I can run through some major themes and events. (There's time enough for all the little stuff later. I've got a Works document full of the beginnings of many a post on life in France that I can't wait to share.)

The family I'm living with is awesome. It's a great fit for everyone, I think.

I was homesick for the first week or so, but only when I let myself think about it. Since then, I've been great for the most part. (Don't get me wrong: I still miss you all!) BIG PRAISE.

I'm getting used to the town and finding my way around. It's a fun little adventure in itself.

The church, EPEC, is small, but great. I'm impatient to get more familiar with the church body, but it's coming bit by bit.

I am one of six language assistants associated with Cavaillon. There are two German girls, an English guy and girl, and a Columbian girl I haven't met yet. There are lots of others in the region, too. The social scene is still kind of settling, but has had a promising start.

Three weeks ago, there were orientation activities/sight-seeing for the language assistants in Avignon and Marseille. They were great for meeting people and for getting a glimpse of two major cities in the region.

Teaching began two weeks ago. The kids are totally excited about learning English. So far it's just been introducing myself, the U.S., Nebraska, and Lincoln -- with a little English vocab thrown in, too. Very easy. The teachers are nice, patient, and seem pleased with me (I think!).

Anyway, that's the long and short of it!

Oh, and by the way, I leave for Paris again tomorrow. :o) School's first twelve-day vacation is Oct. 22nd - Nov. 2nd. The kids have been in school for over a month already. I've been teaching for two weeks. Vacation? Now? For me?? Heck, yes! My friend Mary Ann and I are meeting up at her place in Paris where we'll plan our voyage. Nothing's decided, but I'm pretty sure we'll be keeping it to France. Woo hoo!

4 Comments:

At 21/10/05 9:40 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is a great report. We completely understand how hard it has been for you to post like you hoped to. One of these days that stuff will work like you want it.

Have a great week with Mary Ann and tell her Hi for us.

-dad

 
At 21/10/05 4:24 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for the update! I hope you enjoy Paris and associated meanderings. Will you have web access on the road? Leave us a comment from a web cafe.

BESS

 
At 22/10/05 2:27 AM, Blogger Jessica Dearly Loved said...

Kate,

Great summary! What a life-changing month of firsts! Be sure to see the basilique-du-sacre-couer and hike to the top (Forgive my French spelling!).
Love,
J
P.S. one thing I regret not buying was a pencil drawing of the Sacre-couer with the arab neighborhood below in the foreground. If you see one buy it for me!! =)

 
At 22/10/05 4:46 PM, Blogger Anne said...

Katie, I am so happy that this has been so great so far. Have a great vacation. You... um... deserve it? :o)

Seriously, though, after all the headaches you went through to get over there, you deserve the best year ever. I hope you continue to have great experiences and build good relationships. Is it spring yet? I want to come visit you now!! ("Now, now, now, now, now!")

 

Post a Comment

<< Home