Wednesday, May 25, 2005

Alas, poor squirrel...

Well, it’s been a full week, so I thought I might as well blog again. :o)

So we had a power outage yesterday morning for something like an hour-and-a-half (we’re guessing some local squirrel snuffed it). Anne came up to my room around 9:00 to make sure that I wasn’t counting on an electric alarm clock, and thankfully, I wasn’t. (Actually, mine is a battery-powered wind-up, for just such an occasion. Thanks anyway, Anne!)

Anyway, stirring made me realize how hot I was. No, I didn’t get up and shave my head, but I did reach over and switch on my window air conditioner (my room is in the attic, far removed from central air) -- and, of course, nothing happened. I turned it off. Oh, yeah...

Stirring also made me realize that whatever my plans had been, I was now obliged to get up and head towards the bathroom. On my way downstairs, I yanked the cord for the light, which, of course, did not come on. I clicked it back off again. Heh... oops.

I proceeded to the bathroom and began to ponder what I might have for breakfast. Maybe I’ll reheat the spinach fandango -- nope, no microwave. (I hope I didn’t shock any of you who may once have imagined me to be “healthy”.) Well, I’ll have the tuna and rice cold, and ooh! I can watch another episode of the Gilmore Girls over breakf-- NO! No TV or DVD player. Yikes!

Yeah, so I vote we keep this eckeltricity stuff around, ’cause I guess I’m dependant on it (and a little empty-headed when I first wake up!).

5 Comments:

At 25/5/05 4:50 PM, Blogger Anne said...

While Kate was eating breakfast, I sat down at the desk in the living room to address a letter. Because it was kind of dim in there, I turned on the lamp... except it didn't come on because there was no power. Kate wasn't the only one having a hard time grasping exactly what a "power outage" entails.

 
At 25/5/05 4:53 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Gotta love our switch-it-on, have-it-our-way-right-away, overdependence-on-things-we-have-no-real-control-over, mentality in this day and age.

Sam G.

 
At 25/5/05 5:14 PM, Blogger Anne said...

Just because you've been through BOOT CAMP doesn't give you the right to look down on us.

Wait a second... yes it does.

 
At 26/5/05 10:36 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, you're the one feeling looked down on. I meant nothing by that comment.

What's up, security issues?

Sam G.

 
At 26/5/05 2:08 PM, Blogger Anne said...

Well, you found me out, Sam. Yes. Security issues. I admit it.

I just figured that you were somewhat removed from that mentality you mentioned while at Ft. Jackson and were flaunting your ability to take a step back and observe society.

But if not, well, heck. I take it back. Now stop looking down at me for misinterpreting your comment...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home