Friday, November 11, 2005

11/11, 11:11

At this point in time, while Veterans Day does make me more conscious of our nation's esteemed war veterans, it also makes me smile and think of good ol’ LHS and tape. Yes, as in Scotch tape. “Why?”, you may ask. Well, when I was at Lincoln High, I had a teacher who, in fun, made it a point to send a student to the same colleague's classroom every year on 11/11 at 11:11 (or maybe it was just 11:00) to ask to borrow his Scotch tape in honor of the Armistice -- and for a laugh. At the point when I was in his class, his colleague (who taught history, if memory serves) hadn’t yet noticed the pattern. :o) Anyway, I can’t pass through this day and not smile and think about Lincoln High -- and tape -- and wonder if the cycle isn’t continuing on…

(And yes, I did tweak the time of this post. I’m not quite that good.)

4 Comments:

At 11/11/05 8:53 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

sounds like "scooter", but evidently not...

dad

 
At 11/11/05 10:10 AM, Blogger Kate said...

Actually, I do think the teacher is no longer at LHS, but I'm no 100% sure either. The old memory's beginning to fail!

 
At 12/11/05 7:14 AM, Blogger Anne said...

Was it... how do you say... "Ernie"? Sending someone to "Bernie"?

(That second "nickname" is probably harder to figure out than the first. But it's fun to try to make up a code on the spot that maybe no one else will be able to DEcode.)

 
At 12/11/05 7:47 AM, Blogger Kate said...

I'm'a thinkin' it was them. And "Ernie" has moved on to other things, n'est-ce pas? I like to pretend, though, that before he left he passed the torch on to another teacher, because it's just too good a tradition to let die!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home