Friday, March 24, 2006

Is Kate a Bum?? You Decide!

Yeah, it’s been a month and I’ve hardly even looked at my England photos, let alone had time to blog about them! To make a case for my defense I’ve done some (quick) research on one central, contributing factor: E-MAIL (including e-mail chats -- half of which is business these days!).

Of course, number crunching only shows so much about what’s actually going on, but I like the concrete, condensed aspects of it as a source of information. Anyhoo, here’s what I found.

Since Feb. 27th (my first full day back from vacation):
  • I have received and sent 259 e-mails, which is roughly 10 e-mails per day.
  • I have received and sent 200 personal e-mails, which is 7+ e-mails per day that warranted my attention.
  • Looking briefly at my e-mail history from the past several months showed that I have, indeed, been receiving twice as many e-mails as usual since the end of February. The percentage of personal e-mails was also markedly higher, and the nature of the personal e-mails I’ve been receiving seems to be more time-consuming, usually requiring that I search out information before I can reply.
And some disclaimers:
  • Of course I fully realize that lots of people deal with many more e-mails in a day than that, but I don’t, so it’s taxing to me.
  • And this is not to say that I don’t love getting e-mails and certainly not that I don’t love getting personal e-mails, because I really do! I firmly believe that correspondence is a large part of what keeps me going here in foreign France, which is oh so far from home.
  • Many of these e-mails have to do with the coming visits of family and friends, and while I don't at all want to give the impression that I find these e-mails cumbersome (I'm way pumped to see these people!!), I will admit to them having that *taxing* element about them.
So, now that you’ve read the whine -- I mean post -- you decide: Is Kate a bum??

I’m gonna have to answer in the affirmative. :o)

8 Comments:

At 25/3/06 7:33 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I know you feel a deep sense of responsibility to share your experience with us, but hey -- we're not on a timetable. It's all good. It's just pleasant to read your posts whenever they come! Don't be so hard on yourself! And I vote no on the bum question. :)
--JEG

 
At 26/3/06 7:12 AM, Blogger Anne said...

You aren't a bum, you just have a lot to do. You are under no obligation to post... that's not why you got a blog. When you do blog, great. When you don't blog, fine. We're okay. You're okay. Relax!

 
At 26/3/06 11:18 AM, Blogger Kate said...

That's so funny because you both responded to what for me was a side-issue! While it's true that I wrote this post in the framework of a defense for why I'm not blogging more, the real reason had more to do with just sharing about my current busy-ness than about my feeling obligated to post, etc. Yeah, I wanna post and kinda think I should, but more than that, I just want to be able to sit still without having something that needs doing. :o) All’s well (and much better with sympathy!).

 
At 27/3/06 2:34 AM, Blogger Jessica Dearly Loved said...

I know email is a very important part of my life too. Like you said, being overseas warrants more correspondendance than usual. This is our connection to the other side of the world!
VOTE: NOT a bum

 
At 27/3/06 2:34 AM, Blogger Jessica Dearly Loved said...

P.S. I loved the reports on Sweeden! What a lovely photo of you ladies. I'm on my way to look at your flickr set now!

 
At 27/3/06 12:59 PM, Blogger Keith said...

Oh, come ON, people. Vote the TRUTH.

BUM
BUM
BUM

-anonymous

 
At 27/3/06 1:00 PM, Blogger Keith said...

DOH!

 
At 27/3/06 2:57 PM, Blogger Kate said...

I love you, Daddy! :o)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home