Sunday, February 05, 2006

London Bridge is falling down, falling down, falling down…*

There’s nothing that gets you thinking about metaphorically, spiritually falling down like actually, physically falling down.

That’s right: I went ice skating the other night. Let’s just say that I was glad to have friends right behind me when it happened -- both times. :o) As the night progressed and I became a little more stable and independent, we three (Kerstin, Rianne, & I) didn’t necessarily skate together. That was a good thing, but I couldn’t keep myself from wondering just what I’d do if I had another spill, this time without them. Duh, I’d get up, obviously. :o) But I know how I’d feel trying to get up all alone -- and on ice skates, no less! What embarrassment! What helplessness! And to add injury to insult… well, yeah: OW!

I started trying to notice (without looking like it, and without neglecting my own balance issues) the people who fell. I think that every single one had friends or parents at their razor-sharp heels, which made me pray even harder that I wouldn’t fall again -- especially as I’m a foreigner and would probably “give myself away” in a vulnerable moment such as that. And again it came, as some hotshot whizzed right past me: the mental picture of falling without friends near by. Hey, that’s kind of like life! When I fall, I really don’t want to be alone. I’ll need help up. I’ll need help to the nearest bench. I’ll need reassurance that I won’t keep on falling. I’ll need my support network.

I often wonder how people survive without a support network. You feel alone, defenseless, and like an easy target, and guess what: you are! As much as people harp on in loud arrogance about standing on their own two feet, it’s just not practical, nor often very true. When (as is bound to happen) people crumble under a set of personal circumstances, they either seek refuge in relationship or, as a result of pride or true isolation, endure the mental and emotional agony of trying to get through it on their own. No, thank you! I’m weak and apt to lose my balance, and admitting it allows me the joy of inviting others to watch my back, and me theirs.

I could go on, but you get the idea. :o)

*For y e a r s I thought the words to this song were “London Bridg-es falling down.” NOW it makes sense. Or, at least, more sense.

6 Comments:

At 5/2/06 4:13 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I used to think "dreckly" was a word. Such as, "I'll be there dreckly."
--JEG

 
At 6/2/06 12:19 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hear, hear. I don't know how people survive without deep community. I know I wouldn't have made it through the past couple of years without my friends and family. It boggles my mind that people don't seem to think they need real community.

 
At 6/2/06 12:20 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Also, London Bridge is a let down. It's just a normal concrete bridge. Lame. However, the experience can be somewhat redeemed by playing "London Bridge is Falling Down" on London Bridge, I've found. Then a disappointing bridge turns into a fun opportunity to embarass oneself in public by playing children's games. And who doesn't love that?

 
At 6/2/06 2:43 AM, Blogger Kate said...

J: "Ha'ah'vuh" is definitely my favorite southern "word", although "dreckly" is right up there. ("However", for those of you who don't speak South.)

B: Thanks for the words of caution and advice. I'll have to remember them when I make it up to London, hopefully soon...

 
At 6/2/06 9:42 AM, Blogger Keith said...

Keep skating, Bob.

 
At 7/2/06 6:06 AM, Blogger Mary Ann said...

I agree with you Kate...and it becomes even more noticeable when you are in a foreign country. I am so glad that we can keep in touch and travel together...what an encouragement! See you soon!
Mary Ann

 

Post a Comment

<< Home