Saturday, May 06, 2006

A Recurring Question

I have a question for y’all, and while it’s true that I’m asking it now just because I haven’t blogged in a while (too long) and am leaving town (and free Internet access) for the weekend, I am actually very interested in your responses, too, as I've had this question for a while now. :o)

My question: how would you define lingual fluency? Or, to restate it another way: what would you say makes one fluent in any given language?

Thanks. Have a good one, everybody!

2 Comments:

At 6/5/06 9:32 AM, Blogger Anne said...

Do you find it easy to communicate with others? Is it easy to understand them? Is it easy for them to understand you?

If answers are yes, I'd call you fluent.

I know you're frustrated a lot of the time by lack of vocabulary... but are 7-year old Americans not "fluent" in English because they don't know all the words that I do?

 
At 6/5/06 5:15 PM, Blogger Keith said...

fluent: the words flow, and generally in a smooth manner. Non-fluent: thought is blocked by the words.

Of course now and then even native speakers get stuck for words or have a hard time expressing a thought.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home