Tuesday, March 28, 2006

Calendar Woes

So, “summer time” began Sunday. Don’t ask me why it starts at a different time than DST in the U.S. (which, again, is different from many other countries) but it does, so I’m now EIGHT hours off from home rather than seven. “But just for the week!” -Mr. Warbucks

On Friday I spoke with a guy who’s visiting from England. He told about trying to find a card for his mother for Mother’s Day this Sunday (the 26th) since he would be gone, etc., etc. and it caused me a tense few moments, let me tell ya! But then I realized that it really couldn’t be Mother’s Day because my siblings aren’t clueless nor are they the kind to leave out a monetary contributor. :o) Not to mention it’s always in all my memory been in MAY. It didn’t take me long to decide that I had encountered another cultural calendar alteration. Why isn’t something like that standard across the globe? Oh well. (It’s the 2nd Sunday in May, if anyone’s wondering. France is the 4th Sunday in May, and England is the 4th Sunday in Lent!).

Oh, and France’s prominent calendar layout is totally weird! While the format intrigues me, I prefer calendars that are more visual than chart-like and thus remain loyal to the way I grew up with. Check out the following yearly calendar (which is from the inferior planner I had no choice but to buy back in January):
French calendar
If you click, you’ll both see the picture better and get a full explanation of what all’s going on in that complicated design.

And by the way: I still think "radnelac" whenever I spell calendar. Dad wasn't even teaching me the spelling, but my sister, and yet it sticks with me!

4 Comments:

At 28/3/06 8:16 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, that is different. What I find interesting is that, on this calendar anyway, they don't differentiate the abbreviations for Mardi and Mercredi. It seems like it would be really easy to schedule something for the wrong "M."

BESS

 
At 28/3/06 9:16 AM, Blogger Kate said...

Yep. You just have to know!

 
At 30/3/06 8:30 AM, Blogger Sam G. said...

So here's an obscure question...

I've been watching an old anime adaptation of Anne of Green Gables and got to thinking, "Is Annie a riff on Anne of Green Gables?"

-Orphan girl
-Red Hair
-Was originally wanted to be a boy
-Wins hearts through talkative nature
-Precocious take on things

I don't know, like I said, I was just wondering.

 
At 30/3/06 10:32 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Interesting. I always assumed the name came from James Whitcomb Riley's poem "Little Orphant Annie," about the orphan girl who does chores and tells ghost stories to the kids. ("The Gobble-uns 'll git you ef you don't watch out!") But the parallels to Anne of Green Gables are striking.

BESS

 

Post a Comment

<< Home