Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Trial by Fire

I know this is how we learn fastest and usually best, but that doesn’t mean I have to like it. At work, I am learning another branch of annuity products, those that come from kind of a sister company we will now help field on the phone. This means learning new products, different rules, and facing changes in the evaluation of my service. Altogether, I would explain it as “blech”.

Actually, I have technically already learned (note the past tense) the information for these new calls, which means I am currently taking them. Very yuck. My FIRST CALL this morning was on a new contract (new to me) and I got a question which I, of course, was unable to answer. I had to try to locate my resources – both paper and people – and try not to lose too much credibility with the client while I searched, put them on hold, and searched some more. Ugh. I had forgotten how miserable it is not to know what you’re doing! One of my greatest satisfactions is conquering a skill and then just enjoying the comfort that comes in utilizing that skill with ease. Now I’m back to feeling like a Know-Nothing. *sigh*

I tell myself that this is good for me. I know this to be true… but it doesn’t make it any more fun. I find myself praying that the next call NOT be a “new” one but one of the “old” ones I’ve been getting for over a year now. And yet I appreciate the fact that the longer I postpone getting many of these “new” calls, the longer I will remain in ignorance of how to handle them. Ugh. Better to bite the bullet and learn one hard call at a time, because then at least I can become comfortable and return to my preferred level of confidence. Ha.

It’s good to be reminded every now and again that I, too, am a wuss that fights change. I tend to think of myself as someone with a "pioneer spirit" which, though often the case, is not universally true. Apparently. :oP

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home