Monday, June 20, 2005

Car Gymnastics

Real-Life Story Problems with the Ghormleys: Juggling Cars & Schedules

Regarding Sunday, June 19th, 2005

The Predicament:

Dad needs to go to Des Moines to preach a Sunday morning sermon. He will leave around 6am and return at 3pm or so. Mom needs to go to Zion at 7:30am to practice with the worship team. Kate needs/wants to go to Zion for 1st service to make sure that the new PowerPoint computer is working. She must be there to teach the 3rd grade Sunday School class. She must stay after 2nd service for a VBS meeting. Anne needs to go to Zion at 7:30 to practice with the worship team. She must be there to co-teach the 1st grade Sunday School class. She must arrive at LHS (with her luggage for the week) for the Super (music) Camp initial staff meeting at noon, meaning she must leave Zion after the worship team finishes/before the sermon 2nd service. She does not need a car this week and we can’t afford to have one sitting in the LHS lot all week, so we'll have to drop her off or perform a car pick-up later. Joe needs to be at Sunday School and at one of the services. He’d prefer to go to 2nd service. He would walk from home to Sunday School, but he has a limp from his summer school gym class. The family has access to three cars: the Van (the red van), the Kia, and the Barge (the white van). We can add one more vehicle to the mix (Bess’s car) if we think an additional car is worth having to coordinate Bess’s needs as well... It’s worth it. Bess needs to go to Zion at 7:30 to practice with the worship team. She must be there to co-teach the 1st grade Sunday School class. She’d prefer to leave after worship team finishes/before the sermon 2nd service. So what’s the best course of action?

The Plan:

Dad takes the Kia to Des Moines. Mom & Anne take the Van to Zion for worship team practice. Bess takes her car to Zion for worship team practice. Kate takes the Barge to get to 1st service. Kate comes home in the Barge during 1st service (after she’s sure that PowerPoint is working). Kate brings Joe in the Barge for Sunday School and 2nd service. Bess & Anne leave in Bess’s car after the choruses 2nd service, stop at home and get Anne’s luggage, and Bess drops Anne off at LHS. Mom & Joe leave Zion together after 2nd service in the Van. Kate leaves Zion after the VBS meeting in the Barge.

Whew! Every once in a while it gets a bit tricky like that. Maybe it's not anything all that extraordinary, but it sure does make my head hurt.

7 Comments:

At 21/6/05 8:03 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for my laugh of the morning. It is such a typical Ghormley situation. Why is it that everything our family does turns into a story problem?

BESS

 
At 21/6/05 10:16 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm thinking the entire Ghormley clan should pack their bags and find a new home office within walking distance to the church.

We could be neighbors! : )

RT

 
At 21/6/05 3:24 PM, Blogger Kate said...

I wouldn't say no (although I love our house), but that really would only fix Sunday mornings. There are times when the fun includes more varied destinations.

However, maybe we should look into a shuttle service between the Ghormley home and Zion, for Sunday mornings, at least...

 
At 21/6/05 7:09 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wanna buy a 1988 Ford Taurus? Rusty but trusty, $200 :) Actually I think it might be spoken for already.

 
At 21/6/05 10:01 PM, Blogger Kate said...

You know, I don't know how or why I lasted this long without buying a car, but I have no regrets, really. I guess I make such thrifty life decisions so as to compensate for my utter inability to budget well, thus far. Plus I'm kinda going to France in the fall, so I'd just have to leave it behind, anyway.

Yeah, the day I get a car will be a sweet and monumental day.

 
At 22/6/05 5:29 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love car shopping. I was car shopping before I even got my license, but I was 17 before I found a suitable vehicle (had to be 2-door, stylish, with a V8 :) ) My Mom actually found it in the newspaper. I'm actually surprised she liked the Coug'

 
At 25/6/05 11:07 PM, Blogger Anne said...

Okay, K-dub. Your assignment is to find me a car.

Requirements are:
-Reliable
-Low-maintenance
-Not smelly
-CD, AM/FM radio
-Air conditioning
-Free

Let me know when you find my new ride. I'm looking forward to driving it around.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home