Tuesday, June 21, 2005

Kindred Spirits

This morning at Zion’s VBS I was asked if I was working this afternoon. I promptly replied in the affirmative only to realize a second later that they had meant would I be working at Zion this afternoon, which changed my answer to no. I was, however, scheduled to work at Office Max this afternoon. Yes, I’m once again behind the old cash register. And thus I realized: in my mind, I “work” at Office Max, while I “go in” to Zion. Huh.

(I love finding kindred spirits in the daily comics!)

So yeah, I’m happily back at Office Max for the summer. No, I really do like it. I know my job well and usually don’t mind doing it... at least I don’t mind putting in just a couple’a days each week (and working my more lovely job at the church office the rest of the time).

My return was made sweeter by a few things:

1) My bosses have hereby dubbed me “Super Kate”, which they apparently call me both in front of and behind my back (and in prudent moderation -- meaning hardly ever)

2) My first troubling customer (who stormed out because he had to wait through one regular-length transaction before he was helped) was asked “what his problem was” not by me (I was busy apologizing, etc.), but by the woman in front of him -- who nonetheless did so with great forbearance. He really made his point though, eh? *sigh*

3) Four hours back on the job and they had me train a newbee on the register -- a supervisor-to-be, no less!

Yeah, this job's all right. After all, "he also serves who only stands and waits," right?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home