Wednesday, July 06, 2005

Getting Connected

So, you may have noticed that I didn’t post for a week there. This is mostly because of the e-mail I received last Wednesday which contained the 80 e-mail addresses of those who will be in my académie (like a teaching district, but with an approximate 2-hour radius) in France next year. Folks began sending introductions and it’s been excellent hearing the backgrounds of others in my situation, not to mention getting a whiff of each one’s personality.

I’m almost (but not quite) embarrassed to admit how keenly aware I was of my desire for efficiency in those first few days following the e-mail. Introductions were made, questions were asked, and invitations to meet up were extended to those who currently live near one another -- and all of this sent to everyone on the list. While this is fine with someone like me, I recognize its disorganization and the fact that many folks will merely skim each e-mail, if they even do that! It’s hard, because not everyone really “does” the medium of e-mail.

My solution (which took me time and then some more time to get right) was to set up an online message board. Again, I recognize that not everyone will take to this idea, but even if just a chunk of us do, I think it’ll be plenty worthwhile. I, for one, am already finding it useful -- yea!

2 Comments:

At 7/7/05 8:13 AM, Blogger Anne said...

I'm saving my pennies so that I can come visit you. I absolutely have to get to France while you're there. Christmas, Easter, next June... I don't care, but I'M GOING.

 
At 7/7/05 12:33 PM, Blogger Kate said...

Yesss! That makes me so happy! I didn't know you were "for sure", but now I know you're for sure! And Bess is coming, too... it'll be a real party -- and I'll get to show you all around where I work and live and everything!

Yea!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home