Thursday, January 19, 2006

Playing Catch Up, Part 1 of 4

I traveled a good bit back in OCTOBER. Here’s the summary version of my journeys, installment the first.

Day 1: Sat. Oct. 22nd -- CAVAILLON, AVIGNON, PARIS

I spent nine hours at the TGV station in Avignon. Why? Because even with a Eurail Pass, you need a reservation to ride the TGV and because, while the TGV station is technically in Avignon, it’s kind of removed from the rest of civilization. However, it ended up being a nice, forced break. I got in to Paris at 11:45pm and was met by Mary Ann (a Zion and UNL friend) and her roommate, who accompanied me back to their apartment.

Day 2: Sun. Oct. 23rd -- PARIS

Mary Ann and I attended a France Mission church (the same denomination as my church in Cavaillon) in Asnières where the folks were friendly and the Word was preached. We browsed the Asnières market and grabbed lunch at a Chinese restaurant (because sometimes you’re just not in the mood for French food). We metroed our way into Paris-Paris where we walked the Champs-Élysées, talked plans at a café, shopped a little, and met up with another American assistant for fondue. I like Paris.

Day 3: Mon. Oct. 24th -- PARIS

This day was a good bit of trip-planning and a little sightseeing. We decided on a route and reserved our first two “budget hotels”. We would’ve begun our journey, but didn’t for booking reasons. We got our train tickets for the next day (I used up the rest of my Eurail Pass during this vacation). We visited the Sacré Coeur, which I really liked -- partly because we happened in during a service and partly because the hike to the top proved to be majorly worth it. Afterwards, we ate at a nice café at the foot of the Sacré Coeur.

the Sacre Coeur at night

see my “Paris in October” photo set

Day 4: Tue. Oct. 25th -- PARIS, AMBOISE

We took the train to Amboise, which is in the heart of the Loire Valley and Château Country. Our budget hotel turned out to be really nice and cute… more of a bed and breakfast, really (which was understandable, because we did pay a little more than we wanted to for it). I loved Amboise. It’s a charming, not-too-big town, complete with château! We visited the Château d'Amboise and then Clos Lucé, the Leonardo da Vinci place, which I thought was well-conceived.

Amboise 1

see my “Amboise, Loire Valley” photo set

Stay tuned for Part 2.

9 Comments:

At 19/1/06 11:42 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks, Kate! You took some really nice photos. I especially liked some of the views you got from Sacre Couer. And that DaVinci place does look pretty cool.

BESS

 
At 20/1/06 5:59 AM, Blogger Anne said...

Gorgeous pics! I wanna go to France! Hey, I have an idea -- why don't I come to France and visit you at the end of June?

 
At 20/1/06 10:06 AM, Blogger Keith said...

I'm staying tuned, Bob.

 
At 21/1/06 12:11 AM, Blogger Lindsey said...

Kate,
I LOVED your pictures--I know very little about France and really enjoy reading up on your adventures. Especially the pictures of Paris, wow!

 
At 21/1/06 8:21 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Kate, Awesome pictures! The views from Sacre Coeur are breathtaking! Also enjoyed that cute little pink bidet. :)
--Mom

 
At 22/1/06 11:29 AM, Blogger Kate said...

You know what's breathtaking? Climbing all those stairs!! There are the stairs outside, and then there are the stairs INside, which are one of those narrow, spiral affairs. You really have to be in shape and/or seriously determined to truly enjoy these historic, TALL sights. They weren't thinking "elevator" when they built these places. :o)

 
At 22/1/06 4:08 PM, Blogger Mary Ann said...

Hi Kate,
Thanks for playing catch up. It is inspiring to me. It is fun to see the photos of such a fun trip. Are we lucky or what?! I hope we get to do it again soon...

 
At 23/1/06 2:19 AM, Blogger Kate said...

We are, indeed, LUCKY!

I'm really hoping it'll work out for us to travel in February. I *think* it will and am anxious to know for sure!

 
At 27/1/06 6:53 PM, Blogger Jessica Dearly Loved said...

I agree with you, the view from there is the best view of Paris, because from there you can see all the carved streets and the Eiffel.
Great photos of the Sacre Couer! Hope you can go back soon!
J

 

Post a Comment

<< Home