Monday, January 09, 2006

A Little Help, Please

A while back I came home after teaching to find three of my host-siblings in the living room. One of them asked me to play and sing a song I’d taught at school that day: The Hello Song (a handy little song I learned over here). I did so, and it happened that five-year-old Naϊs already knew it from pre-school. It turns out that she then mentioned at school that she has an American living at her house who knows how to play the guitar. (That’s a total overstatement, by the way. I know a few chords on the guitar and have mastered the Down Strum, but that’s about it.) In short, the maître (teacher) asked if I’d be willing to show up once in a while to sing some songs in English with his class. Sure!

SO, now I have to choose songs to teach them. Of course, it’s a little tricky because they don’t really read yet (even French), so we’re just talking simple songs with lots of repetition. I’m trying to remember the songs I learned when I was little and I’m having very limited success! Of course I’ve been using some with my 8- to 11-year-olds already, but some of those are too advanced for little kids.

All that to say, here are some songs and my thoughts on teaching them. I’d love any additions or words of wisdom you all have to share. I really want more options that are just American kid standards, if you know what I mean. Thanks!

ABCs -- Probably not, because they‘re still trying to master them in French.

*Are You Sleeping? -- Useful and easy because they already know the French version and there‘s built in repetition.

*The Colors of the Rainbow -- Basic. Easy.

*Happy Birthday -- Yeah.

*Head and Shoulders -- It‘s a good one.

The Hello Song -- Yeah, even though they already know it.

I‘ve Been Working on the Railroad/Dinah Won‘t You Blow -- Lots of words, but with repetition and it might be fun for them. I dunno...

The Itsy Bitsy Spider -- Probably, because of the actions and the fact that it's so standard.

*The Months of the Year -- I learned this one over here. It‘s just the months of the year put to music, which makes it über useful.

She‘ll Be Coming Round the Mountain -- Lots of repetition but random, probably difficult vocabulary. Thoughts?

Skip to My Lou -- Would probably be good, but I have to learn all the verses first. :o)

Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star -- This might work well. At least they already know the melody.

*Where is Thumbkin? -- Yes, same tune as Are You Sleeping?, but simple, useful, and with fun gestures.

Obviously, I don’t need much, but I like the idea of having lots to choose from. Of course, this is beneficial for the kids it’s my job to teach, too.

5 Comments:

At 9/1/06 10:58 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, Kate, you asked for it. Here's more help than you probably wanted. I did some thinking, and some poking around on the web, and here are a few more suggestions.

*If You're Happy and You Know It (teach a variety of short instructions)
*The More We Get Together (with Aunt Marilyn's actions)
*Old MacDonald (animals and their noises!)
*The Bear Went Over the Mountain
*Bingo Was His Name-o
*Mary Had a Little Lamb (maybe too many words, but good vocab, and a cute story if you do all the verses.)
*Row, Row, Row Your Boat
*My Bonnie Lies Over the Ocean
*The Hokey-Pokey (body parts, and a fun game)
*Yankee Doodle (if you want to get ultra-American)

Some songs didn't make the cut because the words are too hard, or the vocabulary too random. (Ring-a-Round the Rosie teaches "posey" and "ashes," and doesn't make a lot of sense. Three Blind Mice gets kind of tongue-twisty in the middle.)

For what it's worth, I'd think twice about teaching "I've Been Working," "She'll Be Coming," and "Skip to My Lou" for similar reasons.

Sounds like fun. Keep us posted on how this goes.

BESS

 
At 9/1/06 11:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

"the bear went over the mountain"
"my bonnie lies over the ocean"
"Old MacDonald Had a Farm"
"Happy Birthday to Youuuu"
"I've had my supper ..."

and for Bertie Wooster ...
"A Hunting We Will Go"

and for Steve Martin ...
"Flintstones! Meeet the Flintstones"

http://www.theteachersguide.com/ChildrensSongs.htm

-M. Le Dad

 
At 9/1/06 1:51 PM, Blogger Kate said...

This is exactly what I wanted. Thanks for the ideas and the laughs, you two.

And I'll take more, if I can get 'em!!

 
At 14/1/06 11:10 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like Bess's "Row, Row, Row ..." I THINK I first learned that about 1925 in Miss Lewis' second grade class in Northside school in Hutchinson, Kansas.

Would a more serious "round" work . . . "For Health and Strength etc.."?

 
At 16/1/06 2:30 AM, Blogger Kate said...

Thanks so much for sharing, Grandpa!

I love "For Health and Strength"! I think I might teach that one to my host family, although I'm pretty sure someone'd have me sent back to America if I tried to teach it at school. What a shame! It limits my testimony as well as my selection of songs!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home