Saturday, January 14, 2006

Soldes for 50% off!

(pronounced "sold", meaning "sales" or “reduced pricing extravaganza”)

soldes1

So, this is kind of a big time for the French shopper. For two weeks every January there are major reduced prices everywhere in France. They call this time soldes, although that name can be used for lesser, localized sales as well.

I’ve looked around a little and might look some more next week, though I’m really not much of a sales shopper. My philosophy is that I either need something or I don’t. If I don’t need it, I don’t tend to go looking. Rather than filling my tank, “window shopping” usually drains me. Plus, I might end up finding something I like therefore spending money I wouldn’t have otherwise, and as a general rule, I kind of need money for the larger stuff of life. But if it’s a bargain on something I wanted anyway, so much the better. [Disclaimer: This makes me seem like the very essence of self-restraint when it comes to shopping, which isn’t exactly the case. This, however, is one sub-area I tend to shine in, so I thought I’d point it out. :o)]

I went out in search of two little items today and was pleased to find both of them -- and at reduced prices. Maybe I like soldes after all!

soldes3

soldes2

3 Comments:

At 15/1/06 4:30 PM, Blogger Anne said...

Did you see that Gpa Rog commented on your "A Little Help Please?" post?

 
At 15/1/06 7:59 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Why do sales appeal to us so much? I know that I spend way too much time looking through sale racks, up and down aisles, through ads and catalogs, wanting to get the best buy for my dollar. Sometimes the hunt is worth it, but other times I think I would gladly pay five extra bucks for the relief of just getting it done.
--Mom

 
At 16/1/06 2:36 AM, Blogger Kate said...

(Thanks, Annie!)

I tend almost always to choose saving time over saving that five bucks, but thinking about how much extra money I spend in a year like that... never mind: I don't wanna think about that!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home