Saturday, May 13, 2006

A Recurring Question: la suite

(la suite, pronounced “lah sweet”, meaning “the continuation” or “the sequel”)

Yeah, I have more to say about fluency than I had time to lay out in the last post. Anyway, thanks for the responses I got. :o)

I guess I’ve just got some baggage associated with this topic. I’ve always had a really high concept of what it means to be fluent. In fact, you could very easily call me a snob about it. I’ve always thought of fluency as meaning that one can speak effortlessly and coherently in a language. In terms of a foreign fluency I tend to tack on the skill of having a minimal accent, as having one at all often hinders communication with native speakers.

Of course it’s a slippery topic in terms of definition. Dictionary.com has the following to say about fluency:

Fluent, adj.
1: a. Able to express oneself readily and effortlessly: a fluent speaker; fluent in three languages.
b. Flowing effortlessly; polished: speaks fluent Russian; gave a fluent performance of the sonata.

Fluency, n
1: powerful and effective language [syn: eloquence] 2: skillfulness in speaking or writing 3: the quality of being facile in speech and writing [syn: volubility, articulateness]


So, I guess the dictionary agrees with my idealistic notion. But yes, I do grudgingly agree with my family that I’m too idealistic on this point. And yes, in the end I guess I’d call myself fluent. After all, everybody else seems to (even the French, and that's saying something!). :o) BUT I feel like it’s false advertising since sometimes the French part of my brain gets stuck OR I just don’t have the knowledge to understand and/or be understood OR someone can't understand me because of my accent (which comes out now and then) OR… you get the idea.

But I am still the snob of yesteryear. I have to admit that I think the term fluent is highly abused. People call themselves fluent who seriously aren’t, et ça m’enerve! (pronounced “eh sah may-nehrv”, meaning “and that annoys me like no other!”) *deep breath* :o)

I really do think it just loses all meaning if it’s used too broadly, but whatev’.

3 Comments:

At 13/5/06 9:24 AM, Blogger Anne said...

It's like people who think they're good singers or actors.

I hear ya.

 
At 15/5/06 10:58 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I read a quote once (I think it may have even been from someone from the States who moved to France) that said, "You breathe your first language; you swim in your second." I have always thought that was a really good description of fluency in another language; you may be able to speak it extremely well, quickly, strongly, but it will still be slightly unnatural and never as thoughtless as breathing/your first language.

 
At 17/5/06 10:52 AM, Blogger Kate said...

That's an interesting statement, Bethany, and it may well be true, though I'd hesitate to give my full agreement. While I think that it's true for most people, I can't help but believe that if I stayed here for another 10 or 15 years I'd be "breathing" French. No, I don't think that most people ever get to that point -- and maybe I wouldn't either, but it seems pretty possible to me in terms of where I'm at now. Boy, do I sound arrogant! Unfortunately (or not!), the only way I can think to test this would be to stay in France long term. Hmm... always an option...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home