Thursday, July 07, 2005

Not that I believe in signs, but...

Yeah, I try not to believe in signs, but I kind of do anyway. I got an e-mail from the Aix-Marseille district contact in France which told me hardly anything new, except for the information “Les Taillades 84”. (They’re sending me more complete info through the mail any day now.) I looked it up online, and after one wrong conclusion ;o) I think I figured out where exactly I’m headed: Les Taillades (or check it out in English), which is small, but right next to Cavaillon in the Vaucluse département (#84). It’s hard to express in words, but let it suffice to say... I’m really excited!

So one of the things I decided I should do was look through my nice French Countryside journals. (I have two of these. Each week has its own nice glossy photo with a caption.) I was looking for something in Cavaillon, since I figured Les Taillades didn’t stand a chance of being in such a book. I found a few pics from other cities in Vaucluse, but no Cavaillon photos in the first journal, and then nothing in the second journal (this year’s) until... *gasp* ...the week I’m supposed to start teaching! (And there weren’t any in the rest of 2005, either.) The funny thing is that I was trying not to let myself “hope” for exactly that: a Cavaillon picture for those particular, crucial days. Wow -- this must really mean something, eh?

For those of you that really know me, you know of course that I don't believe in signs, but in providence. Thanks, God, for giving my fallen self something that makes me slightly giddy.


Oh, and for some reason, I just love this photo of Les Taillades' conseil municipal!

9 Comments:

At 7/7/05 3:52 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The coolest thing to me about your location is a certain literary connection. That is, the fact that the setting for "A Year in Provence" is just 10 miles down the road from you. I'm very, very excited for you.

BESS

(p.s. Do English teachers in Les Taillades get to have an official sash?)

 
At 7/7/05 9:42 PM, Blogger Kate said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 7/7/05 10:17 PM, Blogger Kate said...

I won't lie. I want a sash.

I also wanted to read "A Year in Provence" and "Encore Provence" before I left, but I think I'm gonna shift that to an "I really must read at least the first one before I go." (My "before I go" reading list is getting very long! Plus "Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince" is coming out next week!!)

 
At 8/7/05 10:39 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Kate, I'm so excited for you! Will you be able to post to your blog during your time in France? I'd love to hear a bit about your adventures there as you're having them...

RT

 
At 8/7/05 11:41 AM, Blogger Kate said...

Yes, yes, and yes.

That actually was my root intent in the creation of this blog. It was almost entitled something frenchy-lame-o, like "Kate's AdFrench-ure Adventure", but I thought not. :o)

I'm also hoping to send out monthly-ish updates via e-mail, so if that interests anyone, just let me know!

 
At 9/7/05 5:33 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Um, not to sound dumb or anything, but, uh...

I like the name Adfrenchure.

Is that a bad sign?

Sam G.

 
At 10/7/05 8:41 AM, Blogger Anne said...

Well, of course you like it. I made it up. "Adfrenchure Adventure" was totally my idea.

I didn't want to claim it in case everyone else thought it was "frenchy-lame-o," as Kate so eloquently put it. But since SAM likes it, I'm willing to attach my name.

Kate and I had a brainstorming session before this blog was created. Other names mentioned were "Chez Kate" and "CompliKate."

 
At 11/7/05 8:33 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

AHHHHH!!!! I'M SO FREAKIN' EXCITED FOR YOU!!!!! I'm also uber jealous. Another friend is headed to Lyon for two weeks too. You guys are killing me here. Can I fit in your suitcase? Let me know if I can be of any help.

- Charity

 
At 13/7/05 9:48 AM, Blogger Kate said...

Okay, so maybe “frenchy-lame-o” was a little strong, but would ya believe “cutesy-cheesy”? That probably better depicts my hang-up with the name. (Plus I wanted the blog not to be limited to France stuff.) And it seems like I even tried to use “So CompliKated” back when choices were made since I couldn’t get “pontifikate” as a URL, but then I think I couldn’t get “socomplikated” either, and so “pontiffe” was born!

Thanks for sharing the excitement, everybody!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home