Sunday, December 04, 2005

Guess Who

As I mentioned in my last post, my friend Mary Ann (who has the same job as me, only in Paris) visited me this weekend. We had a good time together. :o) One *memorable moment* was when we left the house to find two women standing at the gate. And who do you think they were? JEHOVAH’S WITNESSES. IN FRANCE. (Did you know that? I didn‘t know that!) And as I‘m sure you can believe, it wasn‘t enough that I said I lived in that house with a pastor and his family, it wasn‘t enough that I agreed with everything she said that wasn‘t containing falsehood, and it still wasn‘t enough when I recited the Lord‘s Prayer with her in French! (I would have been happy to “rock the boat” -- even in French -- but Mary Ann & I had a schedule to keep.) sigh Anyway, they talked until Patrice drove up, at which point they wrapped things up pretty quick-like, almost as though they didn’t want to stay and try include the pastor in the stimulating one-sided conversation…

Guess Who Else

Last night, Mary Ann and I missed an evening in front of the TV watching Miss France. (Miss Languedoc won.) I caught just a snippet of it and found myself simultaneously sickened, outraged, and highly amused. Man, I haven’t watched or even thought about one of those things in many years. It’s *almost* sad that my girlhood dream of competing in the Miss America pageant as Miss Nebraska has passed me by completely unnoted. Now I’m too old (just), don’t exactly meet the residency requirement (ha), and continue to be so over-short that I could never even consider such a thing in the first place. :o)

I like when life is ultra random!

7 Comments:

At 4/12/05 5:13 PM, Blogger Jessica Dearly Loved said...

Hey Kate! I know what you mean about the pageant. Hey, one taxi driver told me I was so beautiful he thought I looked like Miss Universe! (I had to tell him thank you but I am a Mrs.!)

 
At 5/12/05 2:15 AM, Blogger Kate said...

JESSICA: Nate should be glad he got to you before that taxi driver came and swept you off your feet. ;o)

One thing I forgot to include in my post was what a kick I got out of the short portion I watched because the camera kept catching the final five when they weren't smiling! Sorry ladies, but you DO have to smile during a beauty pageant. It's like that scene in "Win a Date with Tad Hamilton!" (not that I've, um, seen that...) in which Rosalee tries to match Tad in sustaining a *winning smile* but can't because her mouth gets too tired. Kinda like that, anyway.

 
At 5/12/05 5:57 AM, Blogger Anne said...

Hey, Jessica, they do have a "Mrs. World" competition.

If you're interested. :o)

 
At 5/12/05 8:20 AM, Blogger Mary Ann said...

Hi Kate!
I had a fun weekend too. France is such a random country! My TGV back home was so nice...purple and orange chairs. The SNCF is going modern!
:) mary ann

 
At 5/12/05 10:34 AM, Blogger Lindsey said...

Well Kate, if it is any consolation, Miss Nebraska never gets far in the Miss America pageants--it's rare to even see a camera shot of her! I used to sit and watch those too, though I think I realized I would never be cut out for them when all I could think about was how annoying it would be to wear those high heels ...

 
At 5/12/05 11:39 AM, Blogger Kate said...

(I'm glad you came too, Mary Ann!)

Yeah, there's a lot about those pageants that aren't my cup of tea. At all. However, whenever I see something presentational like that I'm persuaded to think, "Well I could do that!" though whether I actually could is in fact highly questionable. :o)

 
At 6/12/05 1:46 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

My most recent "Well, I could do that" moment was watching Strangers on a Train, when Hitchcock does his cameo getting on the train with a string bass.

Hey. I know I could.

-dad

 

Post a Comment

<< Home