Tuesday, December 20, 2005

I Had a Dream…

…with French subtitles! Really. I woke up laughing because of it, as I‘m sure you can imagine.

I blame it on the Bollywood film I watched last night. There was supposed to be an English language track, but the DVD player wouldn’t let us access it! The only subtitles were in French. The film in its original form was in Hindi with smatterings of English. What with that linguistic mess and the fact that I watched it with a German… well, it was a funny scene. Kerstin had seen it twice but in English so, as she is German, she was missing some of the finer points of the plot. It got particularly tricky when we were trying to talk through a plot point (in Franglais*) with the 3.5 hour film still going, and me trying to keep current with the French subtitles. I worked hard for that film!

So it’s no wonder that I dreamt what I dreamt last night. I only remember a couple of lines which were delivered by one of the Indian actors from the film, and in the same somewhat cheesy, dramatic style. (Though dreams are always somewhat personal, in this instance the funny far outweighs any embarrassment I might feel in relating the subconscious workings of my mind to any who might read this!)

Actor in Hindi (w/ French subtitles) to the girl he loves: “...something in Hindi...” (Mon p’tit lapin./My little rabbit. --> a made up term of affection in my dream)

Actor in English (w/ French subtitles), a sorrowful shift to the serious: “It’s done.” (C’est fait.)

Maybe you just had to be there. :o)

*Oh, and if you're looking for a film with some choice Franglais, let me recommend La grand vadrouille/Don't Look Now - We're Being Shot At, a 1966 WWII comedy with mostly French, some English, and some German dialogue. (Yes, I know the following poster is in Italian, but I think that adds to the fun!)

la grande vadrouille

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home