Wednesday, December 14, 2005

A Poem

I was talking with Audrey last night and she brought up this poem. I've never seen it before and got such a kick out of it that I thought I'd share. (They probably use it in America too, though I've never heard tell.)

Rain, reign, rein,
English is a pain.
Although the words sound just alike,
The spelling’s not the same!

Bee, be, B,
I’d rather climb a tree
Than learn to spell the same old word,
Not just one way, but three!

Sight, site, cite,
I try with all my might.
No matter which I finally choose,
It’s not the one that’s right!

There, their, they’re,
enough to make you swear.
Too many ways to write one sound,
I just don’t think it’s fair!

To, two, too,
So what’s a kid to do?
I think I’ll go to live on Mars
And leave this mess with ewe!

4 Comments:

At 15/12/05 12:13 AM, Blogger Sam G. said...

Is this a Theodore Geissel poem? Some of the phrases sound absolutely Seussian.

Thanks for sharing.

 
At 15/12/05 8:16 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice poem. My transcriber ladies are going to love it. Maybe Audrey would get a kick out of the "petit/petite, grand/grande" chant, or something like that.

BESS

 
At 16/12/05 2:45 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's great. As much as I love English, it is an absurdly inconsistent language. (e.g. "ghoti")

 
At 16/12/05 3:30 PM, Blogger Kate said...

Yep. I get all sorts of great grammar questions constantly. And most of them are things I was never taught (grace à every LPS teacher that shied away from teaching English grammar -- which almost all of mine did). Thankfully, I learned a lot about English grammar through taking French. Go figure. However, I still have a hard time answering a question such as, "When are you supposed to use 'like' in a sentence?"!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home