Friday, December 30, 2005

On a Personal Note

(but not so personal that I won't blog about it)

I just sent out a big e-update at the end of which I mentioned my thoughts about what the coming years might hold for me. I had a woman respond (kindly) because she feared that I had omitted marriage and motherhood from my list because I think I have a higher calling, or something. Oh! Yeah, I guess I did leave out the marriage possibility, didn't I? Now, why would I go and do a thing like that when in truth I'd like nothing better, and as I believe that to be as high a calling as any?

Well, as I've sought to be faithful and contented as a single, I've learned that the best way to do so is to operate in light of what I know about my present circumstances. Right now there is no guy, so I'm planning the next little while without him -- although I must admit that I tend to make choices I could see being compatible with "meeting someone". Of course it's a personal choice of mine, but I think that constantly referring to the possibility of marriage in my future makes it harder to be content as a single now. It's always in the back (or middle or front) of my mind, though, and I do desire it quite a lot.

The problem is that there are girls that become disillusioned because they expect to marry right after college (or whenever), they reach that point, and they still haven't met their man. I decided years ago that I didn't want to be that girl. It's possible that choosing the path of contentedness in the sober light of the possibility that God might not have a husband for me has made me appear not to have the same desire as the girl who is busily preparing herself for nothing but motherhood. Maybe I've not been pursued by someone who would have had I seemed to want or expect it more. God only knows! But God also knows what’s best for me, and I don’t think that includes me planning on something that, for all I know, might not happen.

I hope that my efforts at contentedness haven’t kept guys away, although my current take on it is that that mindset should actually be an attraction to the kind of guy I’m hoping for. I dunno. All I can say is that I’m pursuing faithfulness in singleness the best I can, and boy, is it a lot of mental work! I’ve often thought that I could write a book about living faithfully as a girl in the world today, since I‘ve thought so much about such issues. If I do (and I might!), an adaptation of the above will probably make it in somewhere. :o)

4 Comments:

At 31/12/05 12:26 PM, Blogger Anne said...

How's the book coming, by the way?

 
At 31/12/05 1:03 PM, Blogger Kate said...

Um, I haven't, uhh, really been working on it...

But 2006 is a new year, so keep an eye on those new releases!

 
At 2/1/06 8:48 PM, Blogger Jessica Dearly Loved said...

Kate, Thanks for your e-update and for the real blog entry. I agree with your thoughts...walk contentedly in your current situation and let God open the doors for your man. I felt like I was sitting around waiting for a man, when finally I decided to view things the way you did "I will serve Him as a single because I am a single" and then the Lord worked to direct my every step.

Keep your eyes on Jesus and keep serving him in your single state. Keep your eyes open too for the man of your dreams! Hee hee! Oh the Lord is good and he knows your heart. Psalm 27..."Wait upon the Lord, be strong and take heart and wait upon the Lord."

 
At 3/1/06 1:16 PM, Blogger Kate said...

"Right now there is no guy, so I'm planning the next little while without him -- although I must admit that I tend to make choices I could see being compatible with 'meeting someone'."

I journaled about that snippet the other night. (And no, I'm not going to post my journal!) I was thinking about this post and I began to realize just how much that one sentence revealed about the heart behind it. I discovered that I'm cheating to that side quite a bit, which exposes my fear that God won’t give me the gift I desire when I desire it. No more leaning towards choices "I could see being compatible with 'meeting someone'." My job is faithfulness. Not covert husband hunting. (Ouch!)

-------
And thanks for challenging and encouraging me, girls!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home