Wednesday, December 28, 2005

Quatre. Quatre. QUATRE?!

I don’t have too much trouble with numbers here (time, money, phone numbers, what have you). It took lots of brain-power initially, but has become easier over time. However, I’m still at a point where I usually have to think actively when I encounter them.

So, today I went to the pharmacy to pick up some prescriptions. Before going, I read and reread the sheet the doctor had given me, but still wasn’t sure what I’d actually have to get. I was thinking along the lines of “less is more” and “I only have 60 euros on me,” so I was grateful that I only ended up needing two of the scribbles listed on the sheet of paper. And then she asked me to pay. I got out 41 euros and she looked from it to me. She pushed 21 of it back at me, repeated the euro-part of the price, and asked if I didn’t have anything smaller. I was confused. She said it again, “Quatre.” Oh!! You mean, like, un, deux, trois, quatre-which-means-four! I apologized, got out a five, apologized again, and explained how expensive medication is in the U.S. By the way, it’s REALLY cheap here! Usually not this cheap, but cheap just the same. Doctor’s visits are, too. Everything is more than cut in half! It kind of makes it worth the mess of paperwork it takes to live in France. :o)

Have I mentioned euros are totally pretty?

euros2

7 Comments:

At 28/12/05 8:53 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes, Euros are totally pretty. But do you find the different-sized bills inconvenient? It seems if you have a stack of mixed currency, it would be better if they were the same size.

BESS

 
At 28/12/05 9:10 AM, Blogger Kate said...

Well, it depends. On the one hand, it can help you find what you're looking for more quickly. But on the other hand, sometimes it makes it even harder. :o)

But speaking as one who is fond of things being in alignment, yeah it kinda bugs me sometimes.

 
At 29/12/05 12:51 AM, Blogger Sam G. said...

Okay

I like how it's all nice and even

1,2,5,10

counting all the way up, but c'mon, a 2 cent piece? Wuagh?

That, and does it seem tacky to put the numbers on the coins so prominently to anyone else? Most other coinage is pictures on both sides and you're just expected to know (or learn) their proper values. Otherwise, B+ money. I wouldn't refuse it if anyone decided to bring me any.

 
At 29/12/05 4:17 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I find all this fascinating. I feel like I'm sitting down at a supper table with the Ghormley family. You all just continue conversing among yourselves, and I will listen in and broaden my horizons, since I rarely make it out of Nebraska.
Jen Hinrichs

 
At 30/12/05 3:47 AM, Blogger Kate said...

I feel like I'm at that table too, and yet I'm oh, so far away from it! Actually, I attribute the fact that I haven't been very homesick to the good communication I'm able to have with my loved ones on here, by e-mail, phone, and IM -- even though we're a little spread across the globe right now.

Glad to have you post, Jen. :o)

-------------
SAM: I don't know if that ever would have entered the realm of my conscious thought, although I did notice it, now you mention it. Practically speaking, I'm glad for it, especially with the 1, 2, & 5 cent pieces. They're different sizes, but not by much, which often makes distinguishing a pull-out-and-look operation. But aesthetically speaking, I'd prefer images. Why weren’t we on the stinkin’ committee that decided all this?!

 
At 30/12/05 11:29 AM, Blogger Jessica Dearly Loved said...

I like the Euros. I couldn't afford to collect all the ones from each country!

I agree about health care. Going to a hospital or getting medicine is so cheap in the Philippines.

The sad thing is that the locals find it a big struggle because they don't release you from the hospital until you pay. My friend's son was ready to go but she had to scrape up a loan to get him out...otherwise it would increase by the day. Silly! So many people need money for medicine! I'm thankful you are not one of them.

 
At 30/12/05 11:40 AM, Blogger Kate said...

Sobering. Thanks.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home