Monday, May 15, 2006

Some Time Ago…

I went to England. For three days. It was brilliant.

For those of you who don’t follow closely, that was actually back in February after Sweden and a few days in Paris with Mary Ann. (“Yeah, and then I spent a few days in Paris,” she said casually.) I traveled Easy Jet to London on Thursday, Feb. 23rd. I went to visit Rena and Lindsay, two Nebraska pals who were studying in Oxford. Rena and I stayed in the house of her very generous friends, Alison & Nick. And the girls showed me around!

In brief, THURSDAY I arrived in Oxford. Rena and Lindsay showed me their hall and room, we supped, and they took me to Alison & Nick’s where we gabbed and spent a nice, long evening talking about such things as architecture and Princess Diana. :o) I had my own room and a double-bed all to myself for the first time in… a real long time! Ah, vacation.

FRIDAY was a full day in Oxford. It is a very pleasant town. So very England-y, you know? I walked around, saw more of Lindsay & Rena’s college, walked around some more, visited the Covered Market, went to evensong at Christ’s Church (and got to glimpse a Harry Potter staircase on the way in and out -- I know, I shouldn’t be so excited about that!), and went inside the Eagle and Child pub. We also did things like eat and have coffee, of course. That night there was a Mardi Gras party for their hall: on Friday because weekday parties weren’t allowed. :o) It was fun to meet their friends and acknowledge Mardi Gras apart, as it fell on my birthday this year.

Oxford43

see my Oxford in February photo set

SATURDAY was London. Very cool. We got tube passes and used them throughout the day. We tried to get tickets to a show that night, but we were too last-minute, which didn’t shock me. :o) We walked around and I got to see lots of stuff like the Millennium Bridge, the Tower Bridge, the Tate Modern, the Globe Theater, and the Big Ben/Houses of Parliament area. An excellent day. Even the weather was agreeable -- cold, but agreeable.

London85

See my London in February photo set

SUNDAY I flew from London to Marseille and got myself back to Cavaillon. All I could think about was how completely spoiled I am this year, getting to do such things as this. Yeah, that was an excellent vacation.

1 Comments:

At 15/5/06 10:31 PM, Blogger Jessica Dearly Loved said...

I was so glad to hear from you again! I will check out your photos. I bet you are excited to see Anne!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home