Tuesday, May 16, 2006

Classically Cheesy Fun

My host sister, Audrey (17), just took her finals (although she still has a few weeks of school left -- what’s with that??). She homeschools, and I’m allowed to give her a certain amount of help even on tests… though not TOO much, obviously. :o)

So last Friday, very late, we worked on her English final. We both had just too much fun doing it (late night giggles, anyone?), so I’ve included our work below for those who care to take a gander. And yes, there are mistakes in the final product. We both thought it was best to leave some of her original errors in, just so that it wasn’t TOO clean. After all, it’s not every English student that “gets” to have an American as a resource (in their space, sharing their shower, etc.). Plus, the mistakes give it that endearing French flair. :o)

-------
Directions: Imagine your phone call to the police station because you have recognized Oscar Carso, public enemy number one, in a restaurant in Chicago. You want the police to tell you what to do. Write a dialogue, introducing structures expressing advice and suggestion.

ME: Hello. Is this the police station? I must speak to the chief!

CHIEF: Yes, this is chief G-- of the Chicago police department. What can I do for you ma’am?

ME: I am currently in a ritzy restaurant in downtown Chicago, and sit in front of me is no other than…

CHIEF: Who?

ME: Oscar Carso!

CHIEF: Who? Oh, the public enemy number one! Dear me! What can we do? Agent Vergin, get me the FBI on the phone and get reinforcements to…

ME: Why not react more discreetly? Couldn’t we do that?

CHIEF: Yes, ma’am! Uh, your idea is not bad. This man is an dangerous criminal. Above all, you should keep your calm, you ought to stay natural, look like happy and if I were you, I’d smile, but you shouldn’t stare! What is he doing now?

ME: He is standing up!!!

CHIEF: For the love of America, find something we can do!

ME: OK, I’ll go to ask him for an autograph.

CHIEF: Our country thanks you. Help is on the way!
-------

Kudos to Audrey, head of her class and one of my favorite students. :o) She really did do almost all the work herself.

4 Comments:

At 16/5/06 5:44 AM, Blogger Anne said...

Chief Ghormley sounds a little like a buffoon.

 
At 16/5/06 9:06 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

For the love of America, that's funny! It sounds a little like a Tintin story to me. I'm imagining on of the Thom(p)sons/Dupon(d/t)s on the phone.

BESS

 
At 17/5/06 4:22 AM, Blogger Kate said...

Yeah, Anne, we were definitely going for bungling. The name was Audrey's idea. Hmm...

And yes, my favorite line by far is, "For the love of America, find something we can do!" Its tone just sums up the experience exceedingly well.

 
At 17/5/06 5:42 PM, Blogger Keith said...

I am so mad as a wet hen. This is too much funny, yes?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home