Monday, August 22, 2005

I Ate Too Much!

So, I made that trip to Kentucky (and Illinois, and Tennessee) last week, and it was very good. Nothing like vacation to relax a person -- who’d’a thunk!

My mom’s parents live in Kentucky, and I have loved visiting them almost every year for my entire life. It’s great just to see them, there’s always a great “vacation pace” associated with our visits (we do things, but not in excess), but one of the defining aspects of our visits is the food. The South is of course known for its cooking, and Grandma happens to a cuisinière extraordinaire (an excellent chef). It is also important to note that hospitality = feeding your guests, which means that one is never even close to hungry in that lovely house. For example: the menu for dinner one night (for four of us) was, I believe, fried pork chops, mashed potatoes, fried apples, creamed corn, mixed vegetables, salad, biscuits, and sliced tomatoes, with lemon meringue pie for dessert. And did I have seconds? I had seconds! But I also refused seconds on other items because capacity is capacity, if you know what I mean.

Speaking of creamed corn... A few years ago I decided to mention to Grandma that her creamed corn is a favorite of mine. I was partly curious to see what effect that information would have, but partly just wanted more of it. :o) I was not disappointed! She always makes creamed corn regularly when I come and I’m always loudly grateful. The year after I made that request I remember being worried that I would max out on that dish and then have to relent or eat it out of politeness or something, but I’m happy to report that I love it as much as ever. It’s so good!

I added a KY photo album on Flickr, but here are some teasers:

We made a stop at an apple and peach orchard.
orchard 1

We visited the nearby Amish settlement.
three Amish buggies

We took a day trip to Cumberland Falls.
The falls 1

Yes, all in all we had a great vacation. (And successfully got my work visa, too! Whew.)

7 Comments:

At 22/8/05 4:16 PM, Blogger Anne said...

Three things:

1) Lovely pictures (I like your camera)!

2) I wish I could have gone!

3) You guys all wore blue to church!

 
At 22/8/05 11:17 PM, Blogger Kate said...

Anne-

1) In my best Tony Danza voice, "I like it, too." But I need a decent-sized memory card so I no longer have to ration space so excessively.

2) I wish "me too" didn't seem so trite, but me too.

3) Yeah. Too bad I didn't have the foresight to pack multiple Sunday outfits for just such an occurrence. As it was, we were awwful cuuute!

 
At 23/8/05 2:32 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

a) I will agree; excellent KY pictures. It almost feels like being there.

2) I won't say "I told you so" because I'm not actually sure I ever did. You should have gotten more memory like me. With my 512 MB card I can take something like 2000 pictures at low resolution and 200 at quite good resolution. Have Bess buy you a card as a going away present. Promise lots of pictures of France. She'll bite.

d) My personal favorite is her brocolli casserole and I think I've told her that, but she hardly ever fixes it. I call that blatant favoritism (read sarcasm).

Sam G.

 
At 23/8/05 8:46 AM, Blogger Kate said...

Ya know, she actually didn't fix the broccoli casserole at all this time! (Maybe I should tell her that it's another one of my favorites -- which it is. Ha.) She did, however, fix an asparagus casserole which I liked quite a lot. It was actually a very different kind of casserole (except for the centrality of a green ingredient), so I don't know why I felt the need to mention it.

 
At 23/8/05 8:48 PM, Blogger Anne said...

Forgot to mention:

4) I love it when sentences start "Speaking of creamed corn..."!

 
At 27/8/05 3:02 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Where is Anne's blog these days?

-RT

 
At 27/8/05 11:40 PM, Blogger Anne said...

Long story, but it's gone.

I plan to include the story in my next email update... I'll be sure to put you on my list, RT.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home