Wednesday, July 12, 2006

Back to “Normal”

So, after spending almost ten months abroad, here I am back home in Lincoln, Nebraska. Wow and ahh.

Actually, being back is at once relaxing & familiar AND stressful & different. I’m having an excellent time just taking it easy (and indulging a bit much, to own the truth) and having fun rediscovering all the things I love and appreciate about life here in the States: “Oh -- you don’t have to say hello and goodbye when entering and exiting stores!” “Oh -- I’m not obliged to keep both hands in sight at meals anymore, am I?” “Oh -- I forgot about Bunny Tracks ice cream!” :o) But then, on the other hand, I returned to find myself in a serious state of limbo, as I need a job, a car, and to make decisions about lodging, etc. in pretty short order. Not to mention that throughout my day I encounter any number of little changes: “Oh -- we don’t have to drive Joe around anymore, do we?” “Huh -- there’s a curtain there instead of shutters!” “Wow -- the skyline over here is a little busier than it used to be, isn’t it?” Not that there’s anything wrong with change, but it's noted, you know?

Anyway, I’m back and very happy to be so. Anne’s and my travels were great. We made it home safely, without any real crises, and with some excellent memories. It’s a little early to say what all I miss about France, though I miss the people, of course. It’s been excellent to start seeing folks around here again, though somehow bizarre (a good bizarre, of course!). I get overwhelmed when I think about everything I’ve got on my list of things to do, both in terms of picking up after a hasty exit from France and in terms of etching out a new place for me here. Good stress, yes, but stress nonetheless. :o)

In summary: All is well. Praise the Lord!

3 Comments:

At 13/7/06 12:11 AM, Blogger Kate said...

Dude, Blogger's time stamp feature is annoying me. I changed my account's time zone back to US Central so that it stamps my new entries appropriately, and it modified the times of all of my previous entries back seven hours, back to when they were posted in reference to here. Ah, well.

 
At 14/7/06 12:53 AM, Blogger Jessica Dearly Loved said...

Ah! I can imagine the frustration...

Anyway, it was great hearing from you, Kate! I can relate to the adjustment in many ways, as I have done it many times myself.

I hope you will have a bit of time to share about your travels with Anne. What was it like sharing France with her? Did you see anything different that you hadn't seen? Was there anything you missed out on in Europe that you thought, "I wish I would have..."?

Those are my questions for you--if you have a chance.

 
At 20/7/06 2:32 PM, Blogger Lindsay Sensei said...

Hey Kate!

Wanted to let you know I'm back too! Italy was fun...we'll have to chat...

Lindsay

 

Post a Comment

<< Home