Thursday, June 15, 2006

Zhqt Iù, Trying To Sqy <Is:::

Translation: What I’m Trying To Say Is…

Oh, the joys of typing on foreign keyboards! It’s not enough that you're overcharged for Internet time, you’ve got to tangle with a different keyboard as well. :P

Top Offending Keys:
  • Z when I want W -- examples: zhen, zithout, ze, nez
  • W when I want Z -- examples: emphasiwe, apologiwe, wero
  • Q when I want A -- examples: qnd, Kqte, Qmericq
  • ; when I want , -- example: red; white; and blue
  • ù when I want (which is way over on the 4 key) -- examples: Iùll, itùs
  • , when I want M -- examples: ,ove, e,ail, ,o,
  • : when I want . -- example: maybe later:::
  • The . not only being where the , normally is, but necessitating the shift key!
  • All of the number keys on top which require shift or caps lock for the numbers rather than the symbols -- examples: &st, énd, "rd
  • Qnd ,qny ,ore1 -- And many more!
(I just can't help but think of The Red Green Show: "My o and e aro rovorsod.")

On the other hand, I love having French accents built into the keyboard. For years I’ve been cutting and pasting them in from the Character Map. I know I should just get some French software (with spellchecker and the rest) and even tried to once (problems and more problems!), but now that I’m on Gmail, I can cheat and just use the spellcheck on there. :o)

And I've actually gotten pretty good at the French keyboard. It's crazy to me that our brains, muscle memory, etc. can handle two slightly different systems without much difficulty. I type just about as quickly on the French keyboard as on my own. Of course, some days all is well while for others my brain and fingers just kinda forget how, but I guess that's to be expected. The worst, though, is when my brain stays in foreign mode when I'm on my American laptop. That's supposed to be easy! That usually doesn't take too long to wear off, though.

2 Comments:

At 15/6/06 11:47 AM, Blogger Anne said...

The Rod Groon Shew!

 
At 15/6/06 8:12 PM, Blogger Sam G. said...

The slightly different system applies to early music as well.

Recorders and Cornettos all use the same fingering patterns, but they are pitched in different keys. You need to train your mind so that it can shift between C fingering, F fingering, and G fingering without slowing down.

Like you, I'm surprised that it's not only possibly, but with how little difficulty it usually happens.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home