Friday, May 26, 2006

Unexpected Rewards

This morning I went to the store for chocolate chip cookies ingredients (mmmm! afternoon project!). I was going about my business with what I’m sure was a scowl of concentration when I was greeted by a happy little “Hello!” I looked around and found a smiling 6-year-old boy watching me expectantly as he passed with his mother. “Hello,” I replied, returning the smile. He grinned and watched me ’til I turned the corner, oh so pleased with himself. Ah. There’s just something so rewarding about moments like that.

I actually see my students around not infrequently, which is somewhat surprising since most of them don’t live in my town, but in smaller towns around it. But they do errands with their parents and visit their nearby grandparents, etc. plus I teach an easy 350 kids each week, so I guess it’s not that surprising. But it always brightens my day to see them and be seen by them. And it’s so funny because they really are kind of in awe of teachers doing every day things, like shopping. They even spy on us teachers (“us teachers”!) while we’re eating lunch in the salle des maîtres (teachers’ lounge) -- ha! They’re cute. And so very proud to successfully speak English to a real-live American.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home