Monday, May 22, 2006

My Mind

Scary as it is, I’d like to invite those of you who care to take a peek into the workings of my mind: the good, the bad, and the other (but not in that order).

Okay, the embarrassing one first. :o) Not really. I love this story!

About five years ago, my family went to the theater to see the first Harry Potter movie. Maybe 30 minutes in, we meet the character Oliver Wood, played by Sean Biggerstaff. At this time my sister Anne leaned over and informed me that, “Wood is HOT.” (This was actually an adapted quote from Space Ghost Coast to Coast, so don’t y’all get all hung up about our usage of the term “hot”.) Not long after, we went to another big movie. A little ways in and this time it was I who leaned over to Anne encouraging her to, “Check out Blondie!”, meaning Legolas, meaning Orlando Bloom. Two of the shallowest moments in our lives, I know, but what can I say? We are girls. :o) So we both had our little Hollywood crushes that lasted about as long as crushes do. (It wasn’t long. And then I saw him in another role and that killed it dead). So now we get to the good part. I visited a family in Marseille this weekend and it worked out that I got to stay in the room of their 14-year-old boy, who was away camping with his scouts group. I was in his room for about five minutes before I noticed what was hanging on the wall: not one, but TWO Legolas posters! I totally laughed. Oh, how I laughed.

Okay, on to My Mind, Part 2! (This is mostly for the musicians out there.)

I walked home from the train station after returning from Marseille yesterday with my backpack, duffle, and purse. It’s always fun to try to position everything so that it’s good for walking a ways in what one hopes is reasonable comfort. I realized after a few minutes that I had a steady, interesting beat going on in my head which, of course, was because of the gate of my walk. And the rhythm was cool, even! I had the steady 1-2-1-2 from my steps, and then there was a quicker 1-2-3-1-2-3 which came from the duffle hitting my legs: R-L-R-R-L-R, since it was mostly on my Right side, meaning it hit my Right leg (1), hit my Left leg (2), and was kicked back up by my Right leg (3), only to fall back onto my Right (1, again). Both rhythms at once gives you 1 2 & 3, 1 2 & 3, the 123 obviously being the triplet of my duffle, and the 1& being the 1-2 of my walking. Sorry, but it’s hard to explain it any clearer than that. :o) Maybe not interesting to most, but I was fascinated and my mind engaged for quite a while.

Part 3 of My Mind came to me as I was back on the train returning to Cavaillon. I was too tired to “redeem the time” by reading, writing, or what have you, so I was just enjoying the countryside as it zipped by. At one point, we crossed a bridge with a metal design through which one could see the scenery. I found myself in awe for three reasons. 1) Creation is beautiful. 2) Being made in God’s likeness, we create things both useful and attractive (like the bridge), using what wits we have. 3) God fashioned us with such intricate care that my eyes will automatically track that beautiful creation through the closer iron pattern. That’s amazing! Praise be to God: Creator, Father, and Lord!

3 Comments:

At 22/5/06 4:22 PM, Blogger Anne said...

The quote is actually from Cartoon Planet, not Space Ghost Coast to Coast, but it's an understandable mistake.

 
At 22/5/06 8:14 PM, Blogger Jessica Dearly Loved said...

What a great way to end your thoughts, in praise of our Great God!

I was very happy to know other people besides me just start laughing when alone in a room.

I liked the rhythm story!

 
At 26/5/06 12:00 AM, Blogger Nathaniel said...

You're halarious Kate! I totally understand the music thing... I understand the creation thing... the legolas thing? Let's just say I understand it in my own way :-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home