Tuesday, June 06, 2006

My Kids Are CUTE!

[“My kids” meaning my students, not my kids.]

So, there are certain things that I’ve come to do at the beginning of every class, and in a certain order. NOTE: As I wasn’t (entirely) trained as a teacher, there are bound to be easy ways to improve upon my methods, but with only three weeks left, I don’t really want to know what I’ve been doing wrong all along. :o) (I fly home in exactly a month!!!!!)

1) I enter the room. Duh, right? I mention this step because one class always stands when a teacher enters the room, and I always have to tell them to sit down again because they won’t do so until they’re “permitted” by the authority figure!

2) Once I’ve put my stuff down and the teacher gives me the go-ahead, I begin with a “Good morning!” or “Good afternoon!”

3) That is directly followed by “How are you?”, which often begets an “I’m fine” though occasionally they’ll answer by saying “I’m good” or “I’m so-so” or, if they’re really clueless, they’ll repeat “How are you?” -- not out of politeness, but because they don’t know what it means and think we’re working pronunciation. *sigh* Some have started asking me how I am on their own, but usually I have to coax it out of them. (Last month one kid asked me, “How do you do?” which was so far from anything I expected that I thought he was mispronouncing “How old are you?” I was glad to be corrected!)

4) After that I ask them, “What’s the date today?” to which, if they answer in French (and they often do!!), I’ll add a mock-exasperated “…in ENGLISH!” As a student feeds me the information, I write it up on the board (for example), “Tuesday, June 6th, 2006” and once it’s complete, I have them repeat each piece after me. (They’re getting pretty good at “tyoo-fowzund-seeks”. Really though, some even pronounce it right!) Of course, it’s always good to work on numbers and the “th” rules (as in 6th, 1st, 12th), as well. It’s a shame the “th” rule matters, because it ain’t easy!!

And then I get on with the lesson. :o)

The funny thing about this is that now they’ve started not waiting for me to commence my spiel. Instead, they pelt me with “Hello!”, “I’m fine!”, etc. just as soon as I walk in the door! While I find this endearing, I put on my best poker face and wait for such efforts to subside before I start things up the “correct” way.

Lo and behold, last week I entered one of my classes and they, as a class, beat me to the “How are you?” and what’s more, had already written the date up on the board! Definitely the teacher’s idea. Definitely a child’s writing. Aww! I was so proud -- and they’re one of the younger classes, too, at 8(?) years old. And they’re a GREAT class, too: well-behaved and darling!

Some of the only pictures that exist of me teaching are from when Mom, Bess, and Aunt Amy visited me in April. Here's Bess's set and Here's a starting point in Mom's France set. And here's one including the date, just for kicks.
Taillades.date

3 Comments:

At 6/6/06 7:22 AM, Blogger Anne said...

And they're smart, too. I mean, they speak FRENCH for cying out loud. :o)

I'll never forget the day I was on the bus in Lincoln, and a 3-year-old son got onto the bus with his dad. I actually recognized the dad from campus; he was one of the German guys studying in the piano studio. Anyway, his son started saying something to him (in German), and my first thought was, "That kid speaks German? He's like a genius!" Then I considered a little more and realized that he probably didn't speak English.

 
At 9/6/06 10:38 PM, Blogger Jessica Dearly Loved said...

I love hearing about your teaching days! Thanks for the play-by-play giving us an inside scoop into your classroom. Do they call you "Miss G...'?"

 
At 13/6/06 3:48 PM, Blogger Kate said...

Sorry! I don't know what distracted me so that I missed your blatant question. :o)

They call me "Miss Kate". Aww.

[I almost went with "Miss G" just because the "g" and "j" vowels are backwards in French, pronounced "zjay" and "zjee", respectively. A little too confusing for their age group, though!]

 

Post a Comment

<< Home