Friday, October 13, 2006

Five Seven?

At work this week, I left the training environment and began "transition". (Again, I work in a call center answering client questions about annuities.) During transition, we begin taking real calls from real customers -- with real finances that we could potentially really screw up. Proceed with caution? You betcha! Therefore, my fellow trainees and I have a supervisor available at all times to answer any questions we're bound to have (1 trainer per 4-6 trainees). I'm actually liking it all quite a bit. I think it brings out a few of my strengths, and it's nice to have some practical application after the three weeks we spent in tax training and the like (yawn!).

I think I do well with the whole customer-service-on-the-phone thing. I've answered phones for previous jobs and feel generally good about my professionalism and friendliness, though there’s room for growth, no doubt. The company is big on having us try to connect with the clients or agents we speak to, but only to keep business running smoothly, of course.

SO, one call I got this week was from, let’s just say “Dan”, the rapport of the call being what I’d call a normal good. A couple minutes in, I was loading some requested information when he said, “Five seven?” like it was part of the conversation we’d been having. Pause. “I’m sorry?” I responded. “Five seven?” Dan repeated. I had no idea where those numbers came into things and asked again for clarification. “Are you five seven?” he said, finally spelling it out for me. PAUSE. Okay, let’s take this the comic direction, since it is that, whatever else it may be. “Heh, that’s really funny. Uh. NO,” and I chuckled as I revealed that I am, in fact, five one. Then I promptly picked up again with the information he’d originally called to ask about.

So… I guess I sound tall. Or at least not short. :o)

2 Comments:

At 14/10/06 1:22 PM, Blogger Lindsey said...

When I was calling alumni for phonathon once, this older man decided that because I had a "nice voice" that he should try and set me up with his grandson, who was in my class.

 
At 15/10/06 6:40 PM, Blogger Lindsay Sensei said...

Someone called in this last week who thought my last name was "Love" and just couldn't get over it...he was actually pretty nice, and at least he wasn't the non-technically-oriented panicker who couldn't get into a show...they're real good times :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home